Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Love . . . LAMP!

Burlap Lampshade. amazing right? I actually got the idea from  . . . take one guess . . . yup, you got it, Pinterest (my usual obsession). I am currently trying to revamp my room from a Tuscan theme to Nature meets Shabby Chic. Original, I know, but I can't help but love this new trend. For the past few weeks, the lamp I had on my bedside table has not worked, and I have been looking for the perfect addition for my new room. Bed Bath and Beyond? Fail. Target? Fail. World Market? Fail. The list goes on and on. Finally, I just decided I would find the perfect lamp stand and then make my own lamp shade, using the picture below as my inspiration! 



Step 1: Find a Lamp Base ($12.00-Walmart)



Step 2: Buy 1 and 1/2 yards of Burlap ($5.00) and cut into strips about 3 inches
 longer then the length of the lampshade 


Step 3: Get a lampshade the size and shape you want (I used one from a lamp I already had) and cover it with burlap, pulling it tight as you glue it to the shade with a glue gun




Step 4: Take the strips of fabric, fold them in half, emphasizing the fold at the bottom. Use a glue gun and make a wave from one side of the shade to the other. Put the strip of fabric on the glue and fluff as necessary



Step 5: You will have some "gaps" in the fabric, use small strips and fill the gaps using the opposite wave pattern as the strip next to it


This project took me about 1 hour to complete (I raced against American Idol on the DVR with no commercials, and won!) Here is the final product . . .



and I think I will put it . . . HERE. 

Now go get shady with some burlap ladies!

Cheers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment